baslinux - Re: [BL] sis900 ethernet card

  • From: "Andy Davice" <Andy_Davice AT easy.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sis900 ethernet card
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 00:00:45 +0000

Progress. :-)

Looks like the sis900 driver does work fine w BL,
just needs a little hand-holding...

Did some googling & tried the following:

insmod sis900

ifconfig eth0 62.254.148.73 broadcast
62.254.148.254 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 100baseT

and this seemed to work.

dmesg gave the final lines:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 36k freed
sis900.c: v1.06.03 12/23/99
eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xdc00, IRQ 11,
00:06:4f:04:b3:bc.
eth0: SiS 900 Internal MII PHY transceiver found
at address 1.
eth0: Using SiS 900 Internal MII PHY as default
eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex

which seems very positve

and ifconfig gave:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr
00:06:4F:04:B3:BC
inet addr:62.254.148.73
Bcast:62.254.148.254 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500
Metric:1
RX packets:7895 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:475482 (464.3 kiB) TX bytes:0
(0.0 iB)
Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0
overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 iB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 iB)

However - and I'm going to ask what may seem a
really dumb question here - how do I now use the
browser to get online? I've looked thru /bin
/usr for anything that looks like info on a basic
browser, and using 'go to URL' via the 'd' command
then Esc just brings up 'site not found'. I have
also tried pinging a few sites and this gets no
response.

Is the driver really working and am I actually
online?

I think I'm nearly there.... putting a jigsaw
puzzle together in the dark (but more fun)

thanks again - Andy

easy.com
This message was sent from the free private e-mail service by easy.com, the
portal site owned by Stelios and the easyGroup. This email service is
available to all members of the public to use for personal reasons only. Not
all subscribers to this e-mail service are representatives of an easyGroup
company.