baslinux - Re: [BL] Automatically login?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Automatically login?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:49:28 +1200

Hotmail wrote:

> I am trying to use BasicLinux as the OS for an embedded
> device. Since it will not have a keyboard permanently
> attached to it, I need some way of automatically logging
> into a user. How do I get it to auto-login?

There are several ways to do this. Basically, you want
to bypass the login. A simple way to do this is to add
the following parameter to the loadlin line in boot.bat:
--------------
init=/bin/bash
--------------
That bypasses the entire init process and goes straight to
a bash shell. /bin/bash is just an example, you can put a
different executable there if you wish.

You can do the same sort of thing inside the filesystem by
replacing /sbin/init with your executable. It needs to be
named /sbin/init because that is what the kernel looks for.

Init does a lot of useful things, so you may not wish to
bypass it entirely. It is possible to let /sbin/init run
as normal, but edit /etc/inittab to stop it going too far.
For example, you could remove the virtual consoles from
/etc/inittab and run everything from the startup script
(in the rc line).