baslinux - Re: [BL] kernel installation...

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] kernel installation...
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:28:20 +1200

daybrown wrote:

> Ok- so I can get BL running on my dos drive.

When you say that it is running on your DOS drive,
do you mean the ramdisk version? Or have you done
some sort of UMSDOS installation?

> now, can I use that to run a gcc

The ramdisk is too small to take all the components
needed for the compile.

> that would install the new 2.4 kernel on another drive?

If you want a 2.4 kernel, why don't you just download one
from Slackware 8.0, 8.1, 9.0 or 9.1? You will find several
kernels in the /kernels directory. If you have IDE drives
(and no SCSI), the bzimage in the bare.i subdirectory is
probably the one you want. Just put it in the same directory
as the standard BL2 zimage and edit boot.bat to change zimage
to bzimage.

> I already downloaded the whole 33 megs of Kernel 2.4.20 or
> whatever, and have that on the dos drive.

To compile that kernel from source, you also need a compiler, etc.
The required packages are listed in "How to add new packages to
BasicLinux".