baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound in BasicLinux

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound in BasicLinux
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:47:01 -0500 (CDT)

Russ:

I think things must be added.
Caveat: I"m not speaking from experience, since I don't have sound working
on any BL machine and don't particularly care to. On my Linux machines
that *do* make sounds, this has been brought about by using much newer,
full-blown distros that autodetect and set all that up, as well as giving
you a variety of well-gui'd sound apps (e.g., xmms) from which to chose
when you want to hear some sound.

Have a look at the Linux cookbook for a pretty helpful explanation of
sound under Linux, though. I don't think I've ever seen it presented more
clearly. Not all sound applications have (or need to have) a gui
frontend. They can be run from the command line, just like everything
else in Linux.

James