baslinux - Re: [BL] Internet Appliance?

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Internet Appliance?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:27:42 +1200

LaBranche, Kevin wrote:

> I am looking for a way to install baslinux to an
> older laptop

How old? For a 386/486, I would recommend BL1.
For a Pentium (or 100MHz 486) with 16mb RAM: BL2.

> in such a way as to just have the ability to surf
> to one website on our company intranet.

No problem with that. I have two computers sitting on
my table right now. I've run a web server on one of them
and used BasicLinux on the other to surf it.

> The laptop will be using a 10/100 mb CAT5 connection.
> Is this possible in baslinux?

Is that built in? Or is it a PCMCIA card? If it is a
very recent network card, there might not be an appropriate
module in BasicLinux. Even BL1 (Slackware 3.5) has modules
for the most common cards. BL2 (Slackware 7.1) has even
more. Do you know what kind of network card you will be
using in the laptop?