baslinux - [BL] problems with slip connection (on non-BL machine)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] problems with slip connection (on non-BL machine)
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:11:00 -0500 (CDT)

Since I couldn't seem to get plip to work to get some networking going
between that old laptop (with BL) and my desktop (with a new Debian
variant), I decided to try slip. It seemed to work fine on the laptop,
with no error messages displayed as I insmod'ed and assigned the adress.
But when I try to do the last step of the procedure (slattach -s etc.) on
the desktop, I get an error message. I turned on verbose error reporting,
and here's the output:

root@computer:/home/user# slattach -d -s 115200 /dev/ttyS0 &
[1] 3633
root@computer:/home/user# slattach: tty_open: looking for lock
slattach: tty_open: trying to open /dev/ttyS0
slattach: tty_open: /dev/ttyS0 (fd=3) slattach: tty_set_speed: 115200
slattach: tty_set_databits: 8
slattach: tty_set_stopbits: 1
slattach: tty_set_parity: N
SLIP_set_encap(1): Invalid argument

[1]+ Exit 1 slattach -d -s 115200 /dev/ttyS0
root@computer:/home/user#

The empty line represents the point at which I hit the enter key because
the xterm seems to hang.

Anyone have any idea what the error message means? The problem seems to
come at the SLIP_set_encap(1) stage, but I'm at a loss as to what that
means and what to do about it. A preliminary Google search didn't turn up
much.

Thanks, James