baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 as an Internet Gateway

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 as an Internet Gateway
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:55:46 +0000

> Jhommer Oblego wrote:
>
> I setup a small LAN and want BL2 to act as internet
> gateway to share internet connection across the LAN.
> BL2 will be install to AMD 5x86 133Mhz, 32MB RAM and
> 340M HDD.

Actually, you might find it easier to use BL1 for this.
BL1 has this capability built-in. Even from the ramdisk
version you can do it. However, BL2 does not provide
this capability. Because the BL2 kernel and libraries
are much bigger than BL1, some things had to be left out
of the ramdisk.

> what are the additional modules required to make BL2
> share the internet access to other computer across
> the LAN?

To do this (IP masquerade) in BL2, you will need to
install the two TCPIP packages and a different kernel
(probably the bare.i bzimage). These are not necessary
for BL1 -- it will do what you want as is.

James Miller wrote:

> But what you might want to do is look into one of the
> many Linux mini distros (LRP [Linux Router Project],
> Freesco, Smoothwall) that are actually made to do what
> you want. They come preconfigured for NAT'ing and IP
> masquerading.

I agree with James. If the sole purpose of your AMD-133 is
to be the internet gateway, then a dedicated distribution
is probably best. I think one of the gateway distributions
even does SAMBA. However, those distributions are very
specialized -- they work very well as gateways/firewalls/
servers, but they aren't much good for anything else.