baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 add-ons

  • From: qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 add-ons
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 11:09:22 +0000

James Miller (office) wrote:

> Well, I have a card with the Intel 82557 chip, but
> it's not onboard, but is a separate pci NIC. So far
> it seems to work fine with the Slack 7.1 eepro100 module.
> Should I switch over to the one you're providing,

I'm a great believer in: "if it ain't broke, don't
fix it." Unless you get problems, just leave it as
it is. However, here are some comments I've seen:

>From the Compaq Server Information page for Linux
I have a linux box here running 2.2.16 and got these
strange timeouts just like others on the list, too.
I get timeouts between 3 and 20 times a day, always
on eth2. About once a week the box stops working at all.

>From http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/eepro100_e100.html
Problems include: Seemingly unmotivated loss of network
connectivity during normal system operation.
The eepro100 driver seems to load properly and configuring
the provided ethernet interfaces via ifconfig works without
errors. Nevertheless, the ethernet interfaces provide no
network connectivity (e.g. ping to remote hosts fails).
(rare) Loading the eepro100 driver module hangs the system.

>From a Beowolf mailing list
---------------------------
Got the infamous "Transmit timed out" and "restart the
transmitter" issue with both eepro100 1.06 and 1.09 drivers,
under both kernel 2.2.10ac12 and 2.2.12-20. Although the
2.2.12-20 kernel + 1.09 eepro100 combo reduced the occurances,
they still would creep up in increasing number the longer the
system is up.

>From a Toshiba Linux discussion group
-------------------------------------
eepro100 = slow traffic (http) seems fine, but transferring
iso images or rsyncing directories leads to warning messages,
many errors and high collision rate.
Switching to Intel e100 module suppress *all* problems.

thanks to everyone who suggested using the e100 driver rather
than eepro100. It does appear to be more reliable for me
(and perhaps faster too). Note that the hangs with eepro100
only seem to occur with *certain* connections - some office
jacks but not others, and my cable modem - and usually only
after intense blocks of network traffic.