baslinux - [BL] installing opera with installpkg

  • From: keesan AT grex.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] installing opera with installpkg
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:41:43 -0400

I took at look at the package for opera and you are right, this is
not a real slackware package. I just got a list of all the files
in a directory with a very long name starting with opera...

So then I tried doing sh install.sh from the directory where
that script was and it tried to install opera to several other
directories and I got a very large number of error messages because,
as I discovered, I have only 7M free on this hard drive which is
not enough room to install to as Opera takes up about 12M.
If the installation program were to move instead of copy files
this might have worked. Total free space needed for installation
seems to be about 5M (tar.gz) plus 2x12M = 30M after which you
can remove 12M of it (or maybe it removes itself).

I may experiment with deleting a lot of the gifs as I do not
use any of the buttons.

I am happy running Opera from where installpkg
uncompressed it to. I have not looked at the doc or
help files anyway, which is what was supposed to be somewhere else.
Plugins may also want to be somewhere else. On the next Linux
computer I will do this 'correctly' but I don't have the space on
this one.

There is one thing that did not quite work.

In this large directory I found unicode.dat, which Opera keeps telling
me it cannot find - where should this be moved to so that Opera can
find it?

Anyway, I have now accidentally found a way to install Opera so that
it mostly works to a computer without enough free space for the
usual installation. I could probably move files around manually
to get everything into the proper directories.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] installing opera with installpkg, keesan, 05/14/2003