baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa

  • From: <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:57:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 May 2003 jamtat AT mailsnare.net wrote:

> I found a package on the Delilinux ftp server that looks interesting.
> It's a mini xserver called "xvesa." On the Delilinux ftp server, each
> package has an accomanying .txt file that tells what it is. Here's what
> the xvesa.txt file says: "4.2.0 Generic tiny X server based on Xfree86
> 4.2.0. This server uses the vesa video BIOS. See Xvesa(1) and Xkdrive(1)."
> The package is under 400kb.

And finally, why would
> an xserver use the vesa video BIOS? I'm not really sure I understand what
> that means.
>
> Thanks, James

My guess is that this X server will work only with video cards that are
VESA compatible. All my PCI and most of my VLB and two of my ISA video
cards are VESA 1.2 compatible. It is simpler (therefore smaller) to use
the VESA driver instead of a set of drivers specific to Trident, Tseng,
ATI, etc. I have a DOS viewing program (Display) that will work only with
VESA compatible video cards - this restricts your choice of cards but
makes the program a lot smaller. Compushow (older) has 34 choices of
drivers (number 34 is VESA compatible).

Some cards do not work as well in VESA mode as in their own mode - for
instance you may get fewer colors or lower resolution.

DOS whatvga2 (search on whatvga) provides information on what colors and
resolution you can expect from cards in VESA and native mode. You can
test out your card in each resolution/color depth, to make sure it will
work as well in VESA mode before installing this xvesa server. You have to
have a monitor that supports the highest resolution to be tested - we
forgot a few times about this. Some monitors also won't work with some
cards, wrong refresh rate or something. Whatvga also won't work at all
with some cards (Tseng) - just freezes up. With some Trident PCI cards it
shows grey instead of colors in some modes, but the cards work fine in
other programs. Imperfect program but very useful anyway.