b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb form - Proverbs 31:10-31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb form - Proverbs 31:10-31
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 23:15:42 -0500

On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Rolf Furuli wrote:

Dear Jonathan,

I respect you as a person who make sound judgements.  In this case I cannot follow your reasoning, and I think you are forcing the theory that some verb forms carry the mainline and others the off-line on the text.

Yes this is what I am attempting.  I may be completely off the mark on this type of discourse,  but I think It is very plausible.

This is a theory that often collides head on with the Hebrew text.

I think Longacre's analysis of "Joseph" is quite conclusive; the data in BH narrative at least is pretty overwhelming.

Below I quote the NIV translation of Proverbs 31:12-27, which is a good rendering of the Hebrew text. This is a description of the excellent wife, in most cases with two parallell clauses. I see no mainline and off-line and no modal forms (The Bible translations I have consulted, consistently take the verbs as indicative and follow the pattern of the NIV.)

Prov. 31:12  ¶  She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
Prov. 31:13  ¶  She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
Prov. 31:14  ¶  She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
Prov. 31:15  ¶  She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
Prov. 31:16  ¶  She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
Prov. 31:17  ¶  She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
Prov. 31:18  ¶  She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
Prov. 31:19  ¶  In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
Prov. 31:20  ¶  She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
Prov. 31:21  ¶  When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
Prov. 31:22  ¶  She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Prov. 31:23  ¶  Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
Prov. 31:24  ¶  She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
Prov. 31:25  ¶  She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
Prov. 31:26  ¶  She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
Prov. 31:27  ¶  She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

This is just a reflection of how far English has come to avoid the use of modals.  This "best-that-one-could-do" translation does not speak to the issue.  Translators must compromise to some extent.  See my reply to Karl.

Jonathan E Mohler