b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Names עשו ESAW and לוי LEWIY; The Name "Rachel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Names עשו ESAW and לוי LEWIY; The Name "Rachel"
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 19:14:08 -0400

1. I am sorry, but I have to ignore everything you are saying about "Hurrian", as I have no way of independently verifying its veracity.

2. I agree that רבק RBQ is a variant of רבץ RBC, 'crouch',

so that עגל מרבק EGEL MARBEQ, is possibly, indeed, a constrained

calf intended for fattening. The root RBQ is also a variant

of רבך RBK, 'soaked' as in Lev. 6:14

על-מחבת בשמן תעשה מרבכת תביאנה

Also רפק RPQ (as far as I can remember from school RAPIYQ in Arabic is 'friend') as in Song 8:5
מי זאת עלה מן המדבר מתרפקת על דודה
KJV:
"Who is this that cometh up from the wilderness, leaning upon her beloved?"
(Notice the beauty of the Hebrew MITRAPEQET as compared with the lackluster English "leaning".)

3. RGL is the root of REGEL, 'foot, leg', related to רכל RKL.

4. I am unable to deny that the names RIYBQAH, RAXEL, LEAH, are apparently names of sheep of a different nature and disposition: plump, lean, jumpy, aloof, loving, etc.. But I admit that I have never tended sheep.

5. If you want to see the RIYB- of RIYBQAH as meaning רב RAB, 'large, superior', you certainly have the right to suggest it.

6. It is indeed remarkable that the "sheepy" RIYBQAH, RAXEL, LEAH gave their children names (under the influence of their husbands?) that are obviously all theophoric.

7. The -LIY in נפתלי NAPTALIY is possibly אלי -ELIY, 'my EL'

Isaac Fried, Boston University