b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Names עשו ESAW and לוי LEWIY; The Name "Rachel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Names עשו ESAW and לוי LEWIY; The Name "Rachel"
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:39:09 -0400

I would hate to spoil such pastoral, cute and naive names given by keen eyed herders to to their daughters. So I would leave it at

1. RIBQAH from the root RBQ, from which we have the עגל מרבק EGEL MARBEQ, 'fat calf?', of 1Sam. 28:24.

2. RAXEL, like רגל RAGEL, a jumpy young sheep.

3. LEA, a heavy (pregnant?) sheep. Compare Is. 40:11
כרעה עדרו ירעה בזרעו יקבץ טלאים ובחיקו ישא עלות ינהל
KJV:
"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young."

4. I find it still noteworthy that there is an L in RAXEL, LEA, ZILPA and BILHAH.

5. The great challenge is the name נפתלי NAPTALIY.

Isaac Fried, Boston University