b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shabbat in construct state?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: AMK Judaica <amkjudaica AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shabbat in construct state?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 00:08:11 -0400

I will tell you what I think about the patax (Wikipedia says about the qamatz
that it is, or used to be, a

תנועה אחורית חצי-פתוחה מעוגלת

but this we can safely ignore as a mere finger-sucked fable), and this is, as
far as I can go.

1. The יסוד מוסד of the Hebrew niyqud is that the dagesh was there first as
the sole reading cue for a patax, a xiriq, or a qubuc, (זַנְבוֹת is an override)
and that the NAQDANIYM based their punctuation on this dagesh. The dagesh
has nothing to do, in my opinion, not with "gemination" and not with the "opening"
and "closing" of syllables. Even the hardening of BGDKPT with a dagesh, is,
in my opinion, merely incidental.

2. Upon seeing the dot in the word שבּת in Num. 28:10, the NAQDANIYM put
a patax under the letter ש $in. Then they saw the next word בּשבּתּו
with two interior dgeshim (the initial dagesh is, methinks, but a vestige of a
dot marking the beginning of the word), which prompted them to place two
patax marks, one under the letter ש $in, and one under the letter ב bet
to read olAt $AbAt b$AbAto.

3. In Is. 66:23 the NAQDANIYM saw the dagesh in the letter ת of להשתּחות
and this directed them to place a xiriq under the letter ה he.

4. A patax/qamatc interchange may change the meaning, for instance,
דַּג זהב DAG ZAHAB, 'gold fish', versus  דָּג זהב 'he fished gold'. But דַּגְתִּי 'I fished',
with a patax under the letter ד dalet due to a dagesh in the letter ת tav.

Isaac Fried, Boston University