b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ואילילה Micah 1:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <davidlwashburn AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ואילילה Micah 1:8
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:09:41 -0700

Hebrew wasn't a tensed language. Really, we don't know what the different conjugations denoted. Some say tense, some say aspect, I say syntactic connections (or lack thereof) and others have other ideas. But you're right, it didn't have a future tense. The best we can gather, the prefix conjugation (commonly called the "imperfect") served as a sort of irrealis mode, and future falls into that category since it hasn't happened yet as of the time of speaking (or writing). Context tells us the tense, whether present: "I am wailing" or future "I will wail." The cohortative, being a volitional form (basically a first-person imperative), pretty well has to be future, because it's expressing the intent to do something. So you are correct that there's no future tense. But context tells us that in this particular clause, the cohortative is functioning as a future by the very nature of the statement.

Does that make sense?