b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ezek 3:26
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:37:20 -0700

Jerry:

You have done what Ruth would say is confuse action with function.

I already a few times covered how to recognize the difference using the word “swing” in English, now I’ll give an example from koiné Greek:

The action in παρακαλειν is to call aside. The function is why there is a calling aside, and we find that it is used for instruction, scolding, encouragement, upbraiding, and it’s the context that indicates for which reason the person was called aside. The translator that translates παρακαλειν into English has a problem—English doesn’t have the concept of calling aside for all those purposes. If the translator merely translates the action, that makes no sense in English. So he ends up translating the function, the why the action was taken.

If, on the other hand, the intent of handling the text is merely to read the text with the intent as far as possible “to get inside the head” of an ancient Greek, the reader will recognize that παρακαλειν does NOT mean to instruct, to scold, to encourage, to upbraid, rather it’s an action that is used to facilitate all these contexts and listing the action is often the shorthand of referring to the reason for the action.

Now I come to יכח YKX which means to set forth a case. This can be in the context of a dispute where each party puts forward his side of the dispute, e.g. in Isaiah 1:18, to set forth a case as in to make an argument, to set forth a case in the same way as a lawyer for a client in a court of law, to set forth a . case for the purpose to make known as in teaching or making judgment known, to set forth a case for upbraiding or reproof. We have one action that is used in several contexts.

Does the fact that the action can be used in many context change the fact that this is one action? It doesn’t for the case of “swing” in English, nor παρακαλειν in Greek, so why should Hebrew be different?