b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic transmission of pronuncation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Abernathy <mabernathy AT conwaycorp.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Masoretic transmission of pronuncation
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:16:34 -0500

I’m not really certain how to respond to this discussion.  It is my understanding that most languages start off with a lot of inconsistencies in spelling.  Spelling becomes solidified after a seminal work of literature and or a dictionary present a standard for the language. Before Webster’s dictionary, for example, you might find the spelling aetaernall, for eternal. Disregarding regional differences between America and Great Britain, such as color verses colour, you still find some variation in spelling is normal.  As I understand it the Masoretes were attempting to indicate the pronunciation of vowels as they understood how the words were pronounced at that time.  How many common words in English have a variety of acceptable pronunciations? If we only consider the pronunciation of vowels the, aunt, and either come to mind immediately.  Can we really ascertain that the Masoretes were wrong in their pronunciation?

Another question that I have to raise is Karl’s comment, “Even if the Masoretic points are 99% accurate, that averages out to one mistake every three to four verses.” I think that statement argues against Karl’s point.  Do you really think that critical readers would not notices one mistake every three to four verses?  I won’t say that the vowel pointing is perfect but could someone please pick a chapter and show me where there are that many apparent errors in transmission?

Personally, I place the vowel points and the other markings in the Hebrew text on the same level I would comments by any student of the scripture.  They might be in error but they are worth considering. Having said that, I also consider how other variations might alter the interpretation of the text.

Sincerely,

Michael Abernathy