b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] New Inscription from Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] New Inscription from Jerusalem
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 03:49:28 +0000

Hi everyone!

A new ceramic inscription from Jerusalem has been discovered, purportedly dating to the tenth century BC. The epigrapher, Shmuel Ahituv, considers it Proto-Canaanite, and therefore not Hebrew, and reads it from left-to-right. I'm not so convinced. You can read my thoughts here:

I'd be interested in whether others thought this was Hebrew or not. There's not much to go on, but thoughts are appreciated (either here or on my blog). Note, this inscription is in the old script, not the square Aramaic script.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia