b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relationship of כרך, 'wrap around, surround', to כרר?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Stewart Felker <stewart.felker AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relationship of כרך, 'wrap around, surround', to כרר?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 12:19:13 -0400

1. I am not sure where Klein gets his etymologies.

2. It is not entirely clear what the תכריך TA-KRIYK of Esther 8:15 is. It is accepted to mean a band or a sash or a wrap. In Mishnaic Hebrew, and in spoken Hebrew, the act כרך KARAK came to mean 'to wind or wrap around'.

3. A Hebrew root can not mean something as complex as 'go around'. In my opinion the root KRK is a variant of the roots XRG, XRK, XRQ

חרג חרך חרק

4. I believe the Hebrew root to be a compound of uni-literal roots, thus KRK = K-R-K, with the uni-literal root R indicating that KRK refers to a material state of several bodies.

5. In my opinion גלגל GALGAL, 'wheel', is the compound GAL-GAL, namely two (many?) hills, one hill up and one hill down touching the ground.

6. Possibly, in his many כרכורים KIRKURIYM, King David occasionally also whirled around, but KARKAR is not specifically 'turn around', but rather 'hop around'. My Arabic dictionary says on KRKR كركر that it is 'pile up, drive together'.

In my opinion כר KAR is a variant of הר HAR, 'mound'.

7. I think we should leave "Akkadian" and its "dictionaries" alone.

Isaac Fried, Boston University