b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1kgs10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1kgs10
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 13:11:58 -0200

jim,

>>>The next verse, I Kings 10: 29, brags that Solomon supplied fine horses to
the Hurrians [XTY : H-XT-YM] throughout Syria.

where did you get the strange idea that solomon exported horses? certainly not
from 1 kings 10. all it says is 1) solomon accrued horses; 2) the origin of
the horse IMPORT (not EXPORT, mind you!) was so-ans-so; 3) horses and
chariots
were very expensive. the rest is deduction which is not in the text.

really, my conclusion is not so much that 1Kgs 10 BRAGS about solomon - it
really indirectly criticizes him for two vices associated with every
administration up to our days: overspending and luxury. specifically,
a comentary of samuel (and moses?) about not having many horses (nowadays,
rather horse power).

best
nir cohen