b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Chris Watts <dekruidnootjes AT eircom.net>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] To Bless and Pools of Water
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:14:26 +0100

From the very first use of this word "bless" to the contexts within its use throughout scripture I would have to conclude that its meaning is fundementally: 'increase' in a good favourable way. The seventh day is 'blessed' (were not the other days blessed)? No, because they were incomplete and unable to produce fruit, they were in the making. But the seventh day was complete, all was ready for nature to begin its natural cycle of repetitive 'increase' into which of course God was involved and had set laws of how things should increase, but more importantly, He, (God) was all about fruitfulness and increase for the good, so instead of reading: "...and He blessed the seventh day..."; I read: "...and He came down and became an active participant with His created things...His creation was now finished, but His work (as in, simply by being present) continued, thus it was also 'set apart/distinguished a sbeing a different day from the rest". Once again in the absence of etymolgy, is this allowed?

The link with pool, (if there is a link, and in the absence of etymological evidence), I presume to be perhaps the fact that a pool in the desert would be a source of (blessing)? or enabled an increase? for life to grow, camels to fill up their humps? This is my speculation. Again, just speculating, the heh ending makes this noun feminine, and things like earth and land and Torah are feminine and this alludes, I believe, to a sense of cherishing in the word, in the way that Mother cherishes and gives and sustains life. I know this is a deviation from strict analytical devices, but I often see this as complimentary rather than a deviation, if a sensible balance is kept.

Chris Watts
Ireland