b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 91:16 last word

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 91:16 last word
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:37:47 -0700

Jerry:

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Chris and Karl,

I too believe that Karl has correctly called attention to the wide range of usage for the beth preposition.  However, when it comes to his translation, "I look at him with my salvation." it doesn't capture the consistent nuance of the Hiphil for this particular verb.  It is not YHWH who looks, but the person whom YHWH causes to see his salvation.

That’s a possibility, seeing as all the Binyanim except Hitpael in Yiqtol for ראה R)H have the same spellings. Having said that, the vast majority of times it is used, is as a Qal (according to Lisowski’s concordance).

Further “to look” and its synonyms often indicate their object looked upon with a Bet prefix.

Sometimes I wonder if God deliberately had the Bible written in such a way that some verses can be read in more than one legitimate way.

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry Shepherd
Taylor Seminary