b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Scribal practices

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Scribal practices
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:42:58 +0200

Dear Michael,

P. Skehan "The Divine Name at Qumran, in the Masada Scroll, and in the
Septuagint" Bulletin of the International Organization for Septuagint and
Cognate Studies 13, 1980. pp. 14-44. argue that the the scribe who wrote the
great Isaiah scroll worked at dictation and that the reader pronounced
'adonay when YHWH occurred in the text. In my book on the role of theology
and bias in Bible translation I have analyzed all the variants of the divine
designations in this scroll, and my conclusion is that Skehan is wrong.
However, it is good to see for oneself, so read Skehan's article and compare
the variants of the scroll.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Søndag 16. Juni 2013 23:48 CEST skrev Michael Abernathy