b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 3: 14/15

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex 3: 14/15
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 08:19:12 +0200

Dear Uri,

It is fine that you bring up a point where I have not expressed myself in a
clear way. In the thread I have pointed out that WAW and YOD could be used in
an alternate way. The Balaam inscription from Deir Alla, from the eight or
ninth century BCE, has some words that resembles Aramaic and others that
resembles Hebrew. So, we should not insist on a strict distinction between
the languages at the beginning of the first millennium BCE.

My words in the paragraph you quote, was solely directed at Exodus 3:14, 15.
It has often been claimed that the words of v. 14 is an explanation of the
name of God in v. 15. One problem for such a claim is that the verb in v. 14
is HYH, and if YHWH is a verb form, the root is HWH. If the writer wanted to
explain YHWH, would he not have used the same root in his explanation ( in v.
14) as in the name (v. 15)? What I tried to convey, was that we have have no
clues that there is a connection between HYH in v. 14 and a supposed verb HWH
in v. 15. Thus, the verbs in 1st person singular in v. 14 need not be
anything more than an explanation of the personality or purpose of YHWH; they
need not be an explanation of the meaning of his name.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway