b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:10:40 -0500

Thanks, Rolf, John and Isaac.

I will use the word subjunctive to refer to the form of the verb.
I want to contribute to the wayyiqtol/aspect thread by way of analogy.  I preface "by analogy" because some might object to me bringing in an example from a non semitic language.

setup:
In Swahili, the indicative mood is marked by the suffix -a.  The subjunctive mood is marked by the suffix -e.
Indicative verbs take tense affixes, while subjunctive verbs are tenseless.
The subjunctive can function as a cohortative, a jussive, a softened imperative, and like John's Ar. examples must follow particles that call for potentiality, and volition.
Indicative— ni-li-end-a,  I went
1s-past-go-ind

Subjunctive— ni-end-e, let me go (cohortative) 1s-go-subj
u-end-e, go (softened imperative) 2s-go-subj
a-end-e, let him go (jussive) 3s-go-subj
mpaka aende, until he goes
ili aende, in order that he go
nataka uende, I want you to go

argument (by analogy):

In Matt. 21:28-32, Jesus tells the parable of the father who bid his two sons to work in the field.  One son said he would, but he didn't go; his brother said he wouldn't, but changed his mind and went.  In the English phrase "he didn't go," "go" is indicative, In Swahili it is a subjunctive a-si-end-e, 3s-neg-go-subj.  Swahili speakers, for reasons I have yet to determine, choose a subjunctive, even though an indicative is available, and would be grammatical.

What prompted this in my mind was Ruth's comment that qatals and yiqtols are different, and for some reason the author of Prov. 31 has chosen to follow the qatal with a yiqtol.  In the native speakers mind a yiqtol is still a yiqtol, as the subjunctive, in my Swahili mind, is still a subjunctive in cases such as above.  I would still translate it "he didn't go."

Jonathan E. Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School
Springfield, Missouri, US