b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:32:25 +0200

Dear Jonathan,

When the same term is used both for a form and a function, confusion may
arise. There is also confusion when the same terms are used with different
meanings. For example, in Akkadian the vowel "u" at the end of some verbs is
said to mark the subjunctive. This "u" is attached to verbs in dependent
clauses, and the verbs where it is found are for the most part not modal.

As you know, Hebrew has three modal forms: cohortative-1st person,
imperative-2nd person, and jussive-3rd person. Cohortative and imperative can
clearly be distinguished by their forms (imperatives can also be short).
Jussive is described as a short YIQTOL, but the problem is that some of these
short YIQTOLs do not have a modal functions, whereas some normal YIQTOLs are
modal. This may cause confusion when the word "jussive" is used. My Gramcord
Hebrew text has the following search subjects: "jussive form," "jussive
meaning," "jussive both." When we use the word "jussive," we should specify
what we refer to, either form or function.

The term subjunctive is not a grammatical term of Classical Hebrew.
Therefore, when someone uses the term in connection with Hebrew, the person
may use it in an illustrative way; s/he may for example have in mind the
distinction between subjunctive and optative in Greek. The term "subjunctive"
has been used in connection with other Semitic languages, and when the term
is not explained, the result may be confusion.

The conclusion is that your question cannot be given a definite answer. Both
"jussive" and "subjunctive" can be subsumed under the heading "modality." The
terms may have similar or a different references, and this must be gathered
from the context. But your question reminds us of being careful in our use of
grammatical terms, and that we explain what we really mean.

As for C. R. Khramalkov (Phoenician-Punic Grammar 2001), he is not always
clear in his use of terms, whether he refers to form or function. In addition
to using "subjunctive" and "jussive," he also uses "optative," and
"cohortative." The terms "subjunctive" and ""optative" may have been borrowed
from the Indo-European tradition. He connects the different terms with 1st,
2nd, and 3rd person, as in Hebrew. For example, he says (p. 191): ""The first
person, Suffixing form B. may express the cohortative, a wish or strong
future declarative assertion. The verb may receive a proclitic particle l-,
which is also used with Form B expressing the Jussive/Optative."

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 30. Mai 2013 07:48 CEST skrev Jonathan Mohler