b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew off-list] to rolf furuli on wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf" <rolf.furuli AT sf-nett.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] [b-hebrew off-list] to rolf furuli on wayiqtol
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 17:46:42 +0200

Dear Isaac,

The answer is No! The Masoretes were extremely carefult copyists, and they
would not dream of altering a single consonant in the holy text. A comparison
of the matres lectiones in the DSS with the Masoretic vowels shows that by
and large the system used by the Masoretes were already used at Qumran.
However, regarding the short vowels shewa and patah and regarding stress the
DSS are silent.

In my opinion the Masoretes did not alter consonants or vowels, and the
Masoretes did not invent a system of four verbal conjugations. The Masoretes
carefully pointed the text and made their accent marks on the basis of the
recitation of the text that they heard in the Synagogue. This vocalization
and accentuation, which was pragmatic (based on recitation) were by later
scholars given a semantic interpretation, and the system of four verbal
conjugations, of which the Masorewtes knew nothing, was born.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway