b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf furuli on wayiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] to rolf furuli on wayiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 09:12:10 -0400

In my opinion the dagesh is not a part of the punctuation –––of the NIYQUD. The dot inside the letter is, I believe, an ancient, pre-niqud reading prop intended to remind the student or the public reader of a vowel. The dagesh must have been entered into the Hebrew text by some authority of the highest order. The "masorates" (who were actually nobodies)  would not have dared to disfigure the holy text itself. The "masorates", I believe, punctuated the HB according to the preexisting dagesh.

Otherwise, "gemination" is a fantasy.

Isaac Fried, Boston University