b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Is the b-hebrew list slipping?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Is the b-hebrew list slipping?
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 07:42:15 -0700 (PDT)

    The writer of the following enjoys displaying his ignorance, and has
done this for years in this list:

    "...Aramaic appears to me to be but bastard Hebrew, and the genetic
relationship between Hebrew and Arabic is a mystery, and so any
search for a common ancestral language is, in my opinion, futile. I
dismiss "Akkadian" and "Ugaritic" as they are but tentative
languages, and of which I know nothing (and I don't think they are
worth the effort to "study".)

Isaac Fried, Boston University ".

    He is not the only one on this list.

   The worst consequence is that such nonsense drives away serious scholars
in the field who in the past used to contribute here.

   Further, quite a few members are dissipating energy responding to the
drivel, although it is best to ignore it. I'm speaking from experience.

   Sadly, this list is slipping.

   Uri Hurwitz