b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 18:50:02 -0700 (PDT)

Barry,

"The captain can (1)run the ship with a (2)run in her stocking while her crew
members (3)run a race on the (4)run on deck 10."

1 - > verb "to make something (the ship) move swiftly in a line" and if it is not moving > "to make an engine act in the same way that it would were it moving but with the gears that make it move no longer engaged"

2 -> noun "a tear in an object (stocking) created by an action whose motion resembles a swift movement in a straight line"

3 -> noun "to perform an action by moving swiftly in a line" (that line could be physical or the line of time)

4-> noun - unfortunately I was unable to find out what the run of a deck is but I would imagine that it is an aspect where its shape curves (inward or outward) and that rate of curvature is sharper than the surrounding area hence it appears to run or to create a visual track upon which something could run

Each use of the word run describes a very different noun or action, however they seem to be related very clearly.
Do you not see that?

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA