b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Lexemes and meanings
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 15:20:11 -0700

Jerry:

What I react against is the notion that as a general rule, words from the same background can have multiple meanings, often unrelated to each other. While that can be true on a longitudinal study where words change meaning, that is rare at any one point in time.

Further, I distinguish between words from the same etymology, and those from different etymologies that have become homonyms. (In Biblical Hebrew, I would not be surprised if, of the Biblical Hebrew homographs, most had different pronunciations.)

If this is rare in modern languages, why should Biblical Hebrew be treated differently? I object to the cavalier attitude that because a few words in modern languages may have varying meanings, therefore we willy nilly can give Biblical Hebrew words whatever meanings we want to fit our readings of Tanakh. That is sloppy lexicography at best, and if carried to its logical conclusion, makes any and all terms undefined.