b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] B. HEBREW 'mdynah' versus ARABIC 'madiynah' & the etymology of ' MISR'

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: "<b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] B. HEBREW 'mdynah' versus ARABIC 'madiynah' & the etymology of ' MISR'
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:53:24 +0100

Thanks, Ishinan, for putting the time in to find me that information on cognates to miSr. I didn't claim the word miSr came from Iranian sources (an etymological unlikelihood), just that the madīna in early Islamic sources on Iran might refer to the shahrestān (Sasanian  planned cities tended to be circular, walled affairs). There is more to word use than etymology. As for the term miSr itself, it is used in particular for Basra and Kufa, the garrison cities of southern Iraq. My use of it here was perhaps a red herring.

The narrow meaning of madīna as citadel/walled city comes from Michael L. Bates, the early Islamic numismatist. His close reading of early Islamic sources suggests that madīna has this more specific meaning. He writes (in the Sogdian-L list):

 "No, madina never means city. Basra, Kufa, Baghdad, Fustat, among many others, were not madinas and were never labeled madina on coins or in texts (exceptions? please let me know). Madinat Rasul Allah was a madina, obviously. Mecca was not ever a madina.

The main difference is having a wall.

The early Arabic word for city is evidently balad.

It isn't clear when madina became a synonym for city."

He cites madā'in (Ctesiphon) as an example of a city with several medinas.

I find this interesting and plausible though, as I say, I'm treating it with some caution.

But this has little to do with Hebrew. My point was rather was two-fold, first to show how Arabic and Hebrew borrow the same Aramaic term to describe different things, and second that you can't always trust a dictionary definition alone for a cognate even for common words, particularly for Arabic where the words tend to accrue meanings and where changed circumstances had led to rapid development of vocabulary on the first few centuries of Islam. And where our lexicons are based on the admirable medieval lexica (Arabic) which, however, were not really based on historical principles.

I'll have a look at Ullmann's Wörterbuch der Klasischen Arabischen Sprache later, and see if they've (1) got as far as mdn and (2) placed madīna under that root.

John Leake
ان صاحب حياة هانئة لا يدونها انما يحياها
He who has a comfortable life doesn't write about it - he lives it