b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] past tense or present tense?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] past tense or present tense?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:25:06 -0700

John:

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM, John Leake <jesleake AT yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Presumably when you're talking about 'tense'/'aspect' in Hebrew and its great difference from cognate languages, Karl, you're not including Phoenician and Ugaritic? I would take a lot to persuade me that Hebrew functions radically differently from these languages. And with the exception of waw-consecutive, I don't see that much difference from the basic Arabic system.

I know none of these cognate languages, so what I talk about refers to Biblical Hebrew only.

What I was told about Mishnaic and modern Israeli Hebrew says that these two cognate languages are very different from Biblical Hebrew.

John Leake