b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Barry <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] בעדי
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 23:15:47 -0400

On 4/27/2013 8:23 PM, K Randolph wrote:

In closing, what do you want to do with your study of Biblical Hebrew?
If you want to make it part of a broader study of linguistics, then a
study of cognate languages is not only preferable, but needed. But if
you merely want to maximize your understanding of Hebrew itself and of
the Tanakh, then a study of cognate languages will actually hurt.

That's not my experience at all. I've been doing Latin and Greek (cognate languages) simultaneously since 1977. It hasn't hurt me at all, and in fact, has been quite helpful. Learning Aramaic was far easier since I already had some Hebrew under my belt. In the early stages of learning, if you do two languages at the same time, it can occasionally be confusing, but rarely (again in my experience) due to the cognate nature of the languages.

--
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Semper melius Latine sonat