b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Donald Vance <donaldrvance AT me.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia
  • Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 08:55:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Dr. Vance,

Thank you for the term.
Fortunately, my paper does not require that the use of the "cognate accusative" constructions be emphatic.

I'm merely tracking the recurrence of the cognate accusative construction in Zechariah.

In other words, your observation is very helpful because it provides the correct term, but I won't have to go back to the drawing board. In fact, if the use of cognate accusative is not emphatic, it gives me one less feature to address in my paper. That's great, because I was wondering WHY these cognate accusatives would be emphatic: That is, what was the author trying to emphasize? If there's no emphasis, I can ignore that question. That's good news.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Chris Lovelace