b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Need to know the correct literary term for ~Paranomasia/paronamasia
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:41:02 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing a paper for eventual publication (hopefully), but I need to know the correct term for the literary phenomenon I am describing in the Hebrew Scriptures.

The concept I am describing is when the same lexical root is repeated in a sentence to provide emphasis.

For example, note the repetition of QCP (֗קצף) in Zechariah 1:2 - "The L-rd was angry with anger" (i.e., the L-rd was very angry). In this instance, the lexical root has the same basic meaning in both occurrences.

Many commentators incorrectly call this "paranomasia" (or "paronomasia"), which is when a single lexical root is used with different meanings in the same text. (An example would be the use of GENNAO ANOTHEN in John 4, where Jesus is apparently using the _expression_ to mean "born from above," while Nicodemus misunderstands him to mean "born again.")

In other words, paranomasia is a pun. However, I need the correct term for the use of a repeated lexical root with the SAME meaning, not a word play.

For an example in Greek, see the _expression_ "PARANGELIA PARENGEILAMEN" IN Acts 5:28 - "We STRICTLY commanded." I suspect that the repetition of the same lexical root for emphasis here reflects Semitic usage. In other words, the author of Acts may be translating this _expression_ directly from the Aramaic or Hebrew injunction issued by the Sanhedrin in this account.

What is the correct label for this phenomenon in Hebrew literature?

Sincerely,

Christopher Lovelace