b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] abrHm or abRhm?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] abrHm or abRhm?
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:55:31 -0700

Nir:

Within Hebrew I haven’t found substitutions between Alep, Heth and Ayin, which leads me to suspect that they had very different pronunciations during Biblical times. So that leads us back to the presupposition that the names you list below came from different roots, different histories.

The story may be different when one deals with cognate languages, but then so many things differ when cognate languages are concerned, so they’re not a good example to access.

Karl W. Randolph.

the BR connection is indeed is another possibility. maybe one should
reflect more globally on ABRYHEM or AFRYHEM in the historical connection of

ABRAM-ABRAHAM-EPHRAIM-(PIRU-XAPIRU-IBRIM-(BR-XPR-XBR-XBRWN-(PRWN.

just one mystery: is it a coincidence that ABRM and (PRWN meet in XBRWN? is it
possible that we have here one origin and three different sources?

nir cohen