b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Abisha Scroll

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Abisha Scroll
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:00:11 -0500

Shalom Joseph,

The Samaritan Torah was written in Samaritan Hebrew script, and this is how it is preserved. To my knowledge there is no version of the Samaritan Torah in our current Hebrew script. The DSS were written in their respective scripts too, and more often than not, YHWH was written in a much earlier paleo-Hebrew, while the rest of the texts were written in a later version of Hebrew.

Are you looking for the Samaritan Torah in our modern Hebrew script, because it would be easier for you to read it as such? Characters are characters, so just keep a guide to what Samaritan Hebrew script character equates to our current Hebrew script character, and you have no problem reading the text.

Regards,

Yohanan bin-Dawidh