b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] software recommendation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: E <ej2500 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] software recommendation
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 09:03:35 -0800

Aviel:

Depends on how deeply you want to study and how much you want to follow tradition? And how much you want to spend?

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/bibleworks-logos-and-accordance-a-comparison/

In the past I couldn’t afford any of the above, so I settled on using free software from first http://onlinebible.net/ which used to have a version for Macintosh OS 9 and earlier (at that time better than their Windows™ version) with their final Mac version for OS X on PowerPC, a little bit buggy but has some features not found in other software (I still have it on an old PowerPC Mac). One feature I use was the ability to make its display font one from a pre-Babylonian-exile Hebrew font where it’s impossible to add the Masoretic points. On newer computers I have software from http://www.crosswire.org with the Hebrew text being the Aleppo unpointed (doesn’t even make a distinction between the Sin and Shin) text. I’ve installed it on Mac, Linux and Windows™.

There may be other packages as well, but these are the ones I know of for studying Biblical Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.