b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PAAM, was KPR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PAAM, was KPR
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:35:46 -0500

I still think that he who talks about Hebrew etymology

should explain what he means by this "etymology".

Etymology, I think, is not meaning but rather interconnectivity.

As an example consider the

ויהי בבקר ותפעם רוחו

of Gen. 41:8, "And it came to pass in the morning that his (Pharaoh's)

spirit was troubled."

There is no doubt as to what happened in the morning, except

that we are left curious about the nature of the physical evocation

of the intangible emotional state WA-TI-PAEM, above and beyond

the facile "troubled". In particular, how, we want to know, is this

related to the זאת הפעם ZOT HA-PAAM, "this is now", of Gen. 2:23.

Also פעמות PAM-OT, "corners", of Ex. 25:12. Also פעמון PAAM-ON,

"bell", of Ex. 28:34.

I think that פעם is a variant of the Mishnaic פטם PTM,

(from which we have פטמה PITMAH, 'nipple, teat'),

'inflated, swelled, fat, plump, obese', (related to the פצם PCM

of Ps. 60:4(2)), so that פעמון PAAMON is but a chubby מפוטם

thin walled metal ball (bell = bellowing ball?) with bits of metal

put inside it to make a rattling noise.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Dec 28, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:06:32 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote
> 1. The problem is not with not having an etymology "that we can analyze", but with knowing what you mean by "etymology".

that's it, we stay at base one all the time. i find it very frustrating. some of us do not accept general methodologies, invent their own,
then want them to be the general rule.

nir cohen