b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] Tense

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Dr. Frank Matheus" <post AT matheus.de>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] Tense
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:26:50 -0800

Dear Frank:

The question here: when dealing with Wayyiqtols in Tanakh, are we dealing with what statisticians call ‘sample error’, in other words, because of the nature of the sample (Tanakh) and because so much of it is historical narrative, are historical Wayyiqtols way oversampled in our studies? If someone were to invent a time machine such that we can go back in time to interview a native speaker during Biblical times, would we have found such an overwhelming use of Wayyiqtols in historical narrative, or would we have found far more for present and even future reference?

Unfortunately, that’s a study we cannot make today.

For me, the existence of non-past-referent Wayyiqtols, and a good number of them, even within our sample, rules out that a past reference is necessarily meant by the form.

Karl W. Randolph.