b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Qeiyafa Ostracon was [amarna] Old West Semitic Words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Ishnian <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Qeiyafa Ostracon was [amarna] Old West Semitic Words
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:41:43 -0800

I wonder if that ostracon has ever been accurately deciphered?

I saw, I don’t remember where, a photograph of only part of the ostracon using a technique (apparently expensive) that brings out writing that is so faded that it’s invisible to normal analysis. The reason I bring this up is that in that photograph, one letter that has the form of a waw in visible analysis came up as a Dag (Dalet) in that special technique. There are other differences as well. I don’t remember what that technique is called, but if applied to the thole ostracon, what reading would we find?

Does anyone have further information on it?

Karl W. Randolph.