b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Qeiyafa Ostracon was [amarna] Old West Semitic Words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Qeiyafa Ostracon was [amarna] Old West Semitic Words
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:18:48 -0600

Jim wrote:  I believe that the famous Qeiyafa Ostracon may give us a pretty definitive answer to that question.  So I would like to turn now to taking a quick look at the first alphabetical writing that some scholars have called “Hebrew”, in order to ask whether alphabetical writing was a reasonable alternative to using cuneiform, if the first written version of the Patriarchal narratives was recorded in writing in the mid-14th century BCE.

Ishinan: Unfortunately, this a dead-end path for your suggestion above. As I recall,  Christopher Rollston*  disputes the claim that the language is Hebrew, arguing that the words alleged to be indicative of Hebrew either appear in other languages or don't actually appear in the inscription.

* see:Rollston, Christopher,  "The Khirbet Qeiyafa Ostracon:
Methodological Musings and Caveats". Tel Aviv: Journal of the Institute of
Archaeology of Tel Aviv University,
(June 2011)."

Best regards

Ishinan Ishibashi