b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Streitenberger" <ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psa 22,3
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:45:40 +0200

Dear Friends,
ok, I understand ! Thank you all...Maybe I saw matters from a German point of view. “But” requires a pair of opposite propositions in a text there, which I cannot find in the passage of Psalm 22.
Yours
Peter Streitenberger, Germany

Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 7:36 AM

To follow up James' point, disjunctive syntax is usually conveyed by a non-verb in first position within a clause. The use of conjunction waw means that there is still a connection being made with the previous clause (ie. this is not asyndeton), but usually this will be conveyed by a disjunctive conjunction like 'but'.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,