b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RQ(

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RQ(
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:09:49 -0200

isaac,

it is my impression that the biradical Q( has to do with a
vigorous or extended movement, later specializing to RQ(,
TQ(, $Q(, BQ(, NQ( and Q(Q( (damage/destroy a wall), and maybe ...
yes, PG(.

i suspect we shall never be able to "prove" if, and when,
this specialization took place (at some prehistorical point).
but the use of RQ( in metallurgy (whether it means hammer, patch,
form a thin sheet, or expand) is, i think, agreed by us all and
must have occurred at the early bronze era. also the use of
RQ( for stamp/beat is well documented in the BH and (see ishinan)
other NWS languages.

nir cohen