b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] When the heavens become brass...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] When the heavens become brass...
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 17:09:11 -0500

ROLF wrote:

......I would argue about RQY( in Genesis 1:6-8. When it is said that the
heavens will become brass, the one thing (the sky) is called like the other
one (brass,). Thus, "brass" is a metaphor.

ISHINAN:

Dear Rolf,

If the metaphorical language of the Scripture means transporting a meaning
from one word [here brass *(1) which is an alloy of copper and zinc] to
another [in this case, the heaven(s)]. My question to you, is why, in your
opinion, it is such a terrible situation if the heavens become brass?. What
does this particular metaphor try to convey in the light of Deuteronomy 8:8-9
*(2) where 'brass' is used in a positive sense?

Best regards,

Ishinan Ishibashi

*(1) Deuteronomy 28:23: "And thy heavens that is over thy head shall be
brass, and the earth under thee shall be iron. The Lord shall make the rain
of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until
thou be destroyed."}

*(2) Deuteronomy 8:8-9

8:8 A land of wheat, and barley, and vines, and fig trees, and pomegranates;
a land of oil olive, and honey;

8:9 A land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, thou shalt not
lack any thing in it; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills
thou mayest dig brass.

  • [b-hebrew] When the heavens become brass..., Ishnian, 09/01/2012