b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of Nazarene or Nazareth ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of Nazarene or Nazareth ?
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 19:45:39 -0200

philip,

1. i believe the point you raise is linguistic and not one of faith.

2. i do not see your point: english "jesus" (final -us) is also
transliterated from the greek.

3. as to "nazarene" in greek, i suspect it did mean exactly this ("of
nazareth")  at the time, and so the english
translation (not transliteration) would be correct. i am not even sure that
"nazarene" was considered a legitimate
king james english adjective.  compare with names of the epoch such as
"stratford on avon".

the hebrew expression NOCRY nowadays means "christian" and may, by some
extension, be construed as "keeper"
but most likely HA-NOCRY may have been used as "of nazareth" originally. the
form H-x-Y for origin of a person
is very common in the old testament.

nir cohen

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:08:29 -0400, Philip Hardy wrote