b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] ???? vs ????

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] ???? vs ????
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 14:36:06 -0500

Isaac Fried wrote: No Hebrew root can mean 'might' or 'strength', but 'up, on' is good.

Ishinan : What about the following :-)

5794 `az strong, vehement, harsh:--fierce, + greedy, mighty, power, roughly, strong.

5797 `oz ; from '`azaz' ; strength in various applications (force, security, majesty, praise):--boldness, loud, might, power, strength, strong.

5810 `azaz primitive root; to be stout (literally or figuratively):--harden, impudent, prevail, strengthen (self), be strong.

EXAMPLES:

Neh 9:11, And thou didst divide the sea before them, so that they went through the midst of the sea on the dry land;and their persecutors thou threwest into the deeps, as a stone into the 'mighty' waters.

Psa 59:3, For, lo, they lie in wait for my soul: the 'mighty' are gathered against me; not [for] my transgression, nor [for] my sin, O LORD.

Isa 43:16 Thus saith the LORD, which maketh a way in the sea, and a path in the 'mighty' waters;

Ishinan Ishibashi