b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hiram Hirom Huram
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 17:57:03 -0400

I think we need to make a clear distinction between the meaning of the root,
which is material, or "basic", and the suggestive, borrowed, or implied,
meaning of a word.
Take for instance the root נשא NS), 'lift, elevate', and the word נשיא 'superior'.

I think that the root קדש QD$ is a variant of the root GD$ of GADI$,
'full, complete, replete', and hence קדוש QADO$ is essentially 'meaningful, significant'.

The conjecture that XERMON is 'the holy one' is reasonable, but I don't believe,
not even for a brief moment, that כרמל KARMEL is KEREM-EL,
'god's plantation of grapevines'.
I rather think that the fraction כר KAR is 'hill, mound, meadow',
as in Is. 30:23, and that MEL is 'full, plump, ample'.

I would be careful of interpreting the apparent fraction AXIY- in AXIY-RAM or AXIY-MELEK
as 'the brother of', the same way I would be careful of interpreting the apparent fraction
ABIY- in ABIY-GAYIL (1Sam. 25:3), or ABIY-$AG (1Ki. 1:3), as 'the father of'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University