b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tevel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "John C.P. Smith" <jcpsmith AT talk21.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tevel
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:58:37 +0200

-------------------

> (John)
>
> 2) As a matter of interest, do you know of a program for searching on
> vowel patterns (without consonants)? Or do I need to just manually read
> through word lists?
>
> (Pere)

Look at Oham.
For two consonant patterns: http://www.oham.net/out/N-d/N-d.html
For three consonant patterns: http://www.oham.net/out/N-t/N-t.html

------------
(John)

--------------

> (John)
> 4) What would you expect the construct state pattern to be for a
> tsere-tsere noun? It’s not possible to compare with the other above
> Biblical
> examples, since cheresh is an adjective and Tevet is a proper noun.
> Personally, I would expect the first tsere to reduce to a voiced sheva,
> hence, t'vel. Would you agree?
>
> (Pere)

No, the first tsere remains in the construct. The second tsere changes to
segol (with gutturals, to patah).

> --------------

(John)

> 5) Out of the 36 occurrences of tevel in the Bible, BibleWorks
> identifies 3 as being in the construct state, Psalm 98:7 and 9 (both of
> which appear to be erroneously labelled), and Proverbs 8:31 (literally,
> "Rejoicing in tevel His erets. . .") which seems to me more likely to be in
> the absolute state. In addition to Proverbs 8:31, F. Brown (The New
> Brown–Driver–Briggs–Gesenius Hebrew and English Lexicon, Peabody,
> Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 1979) cites just one further
> example of tevel in the construct state (p. 385): Job 37:12 (literally, ".
> .
> . upon [the] face of tevel towards erets") which again seems to me more
> likely to be in the absolute state. In other words, as far as I can tell
> tevel doesn’t actually occur in the construct state. Would you agree?
>
> (Pere)

Yes, "tevel" is in the absolute and not in the construct in Job 37:12.
BW has mended (in version BW9) some of these mistakes (or maybe all)

----------------
(John)

> 6) Nir Cohen says that tevel has “an astronomical connotation”. What do
> you mean by this?
>
> (Pere)

Let us expect Nir's post.

——————

(John)

> 7) Putting all of this evidence together, if confirmed by your answers
> it seems to me that tevel is actually a proper noun (and not a common noun,
> as it is usually listed in lexicons)—a poetic name for earth, in much the
> same way in which we name the planets in the solar system, e.g. Jupiter and
> Venus. Do you think that this is a possibility? Is so, do you know of any
> other supporting evidence?
>
> (Pere)

Yes. I think "tevel" rather concerns (maybe not in every verse where it
appears) to the "world", we would say today "the planet Earth". But I do
not know if it is used as a proper noun.

———————

(John)

> I would be extremely grateful for any response you are able to give, even a
> brief one if you are busy.

(Pere)

I'm very satisfied with this b-hebrew forum even if it is not perfect (as
every human thing is not perfect...)

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)